Wednesday, March 05, 2008

From Bad to Worse . . .

This has been quite the week! Only Luke and Jonathan went to co-op yesterday. Caleb's eye was better, but his throat was still hurting. Nathan's eyes were a mess, and he was still running a fever, so that was an easy decision. Anna and Grace also had very gunky eyes yesterday, and the pinkeye spread into their other eyes. My other eye also got infected. Sigh. All that handwashing for naught!

Today I did make an appointment for Nathan and me at the clinic. What finally made me go in you ask? Well, last week I had a hangnail. And on Saturday I started putting neosporin on it, as it was getting infected. It was a case of "too little, too late", however, and by yesterday the finger was swollen, red, and very painful. I have to wake up at 6:00 to call and make an appointment, but I was glad I made the effort--by morning, the poor finger was hugely swollen so that I couldn't even bend it, and I about went through the roof if anyone touched it. The boys said it looked like a hot dog, LOL. Good thing we're not a crass family, as it was the middle finger of my right hand! And since I had to go in, I decided I may as well have Nathan be seen as well.

I had quite a time getting to the clinic. Sometime in the night I guess, since my eye was bothering me so much, I must have rubbed at it. Anyhow, when I woke up, I realized that it was scratched, so my vision for the right eye was a blurry teary mess. I was a little aftraid to make the big journey to the clinic on the Beltway, as both eyes would start watering fiercely at times, but the Lord kept us safe. I don't think I even changed lanes though!

My appointment was first, and after getting over his astonishment at the sheer number of bodies in the tiny exam room, the doctor prescribed antibiotics for my finger, and an ointment for my poor eye. I could not wait to get either one, LOL!

Nathan's doctor did prescribe an antibiotic ointment for his eyes, and she did a throat culture after I asked her to. She said she didn't think it would be positive, and I said I didn't either--I was sure he had the same sore throat/pinkeye thing that I and the others had, but I just wanted to make sure. Nathan was the only one who ran a temperature. You guessed it--the rapid test was positive. So now I am totally wondering if I and Caleb actually had strep as well. My throat is still a little sore, but Caleb's is all better. But I didn't think to ask my doctor for a culture, and frankly the thought of getting another appointment and driving there tomorrow almost makes me cry. All told, our trip today took 3 1/2 hours. Now I am pooped, and my eyes are both killing me! One girl is down, the second will soon be as well, and I will hopefully be able to take a nap. I am so ready for this week to be over!

4 comments:

Johanna said...

I am so thankful that you all didn't leave any of that here. I am not sure if I could handle all of that right now.
It is too bad it had to all come to a head with Bob out of town. We will keep you guys in our prayers. Hope you get well soon

Pilot Mom said...

((((Claire)))) How I wish we lived closer so I could help out some.

As I began reading your post my stomach began sinking...I feel so much for you and all the kids. I'm praying for the Lord to heal all of you by the time Bob is to get home. Thankfully, Nathan will begin to feel better now that he is on an antibiotic! :)

Between your family and Dan and Mel's you have pretty much covered the whole USA! :)

Beverly said...

Oh, Claire, I'm so sorry! Wish I could help you somehow! But I'll send some prayers up for you and your family.

Now go get some rest! Stop reading stuff on the computer! ;-)

Tonya said...

Oh Claire, I'm so sorry! I prayed for you this morning, before I even read this. When does Bob get home?