Friday, March 07, 2008

Last Doctor Update, Hopefully

So, by afternoon yesterday, my finger was still not improved one tiny bit. I called my physician's assistant pastor's wife Karen again to see what she recommended. She said I clearly needed another stronger antibiotic, and she couldn't figure out why the doctor had prescribed Bactrim in the first place. She asked if I could go in again Friday morning, and I told her I really didn't think I could face the Fairfax Clinic for a third morning in a row with all the kids. I said I figured I'd just wait until Saturday and go to the ER at Bethesda while Bob was home with the kids. She immediately asked if there was anything she could do to help to make it so I could go in sooner --like tonight. Could she watch the kids for me? I told her I'd think about it, which I did for about a second, and then I called Elizabeth to see if she would mind coming over after the kids went down, while I went. She has older kids and lives so close, so I figured it would be a little easier for her than for Karen. She was a true loyal friend and said yes, even though she knows how long military ERs can take! Almost right after I hung up with Elizabeth, Johanna called to tell me about her son's infected foot, and how they let it go a little too long, and he was admitted for 8 days for IV antibiotics. Well! I took that as a divine sign that I was doing the right thing, LOL!

I left at 9:30, and when I got to Bethesda and was getting my temp, etc. taken, the lady who was doing all that warned me that there were people who had been waiting "since 3:00" to be seen! This surprised me, as I didn't actually see anyone else waiting in the waiting area, but I looked sad and went into my tale of woe--I have 6 kids (6 KIDS?!), 4 of whom have strep and pinkeye, and we've spent the last 2 mornings at the Fairfax Clinic, and my husband's TDY, and I just didn't think I could go back again in the morning, blah, blah, blah . . . The lady said well, she didn't think it would take ME that long to be seen; she just wanted to give me a head's up, but she recommended jsut going out there and waiting for a little while and seeing what happened. Well, yeah, that's what I had planned to do, LOL. I guess she was trying to weed out people who didn't really need to be there?

So I got called back at 11:30, after only an hour of waiting. Whew! The doctor was really nice. She looked at my throat and agreed that I had strep based on all the pussy stuff back there, and she was surprised the other doc had prescribed Bactrim as well. She said my finger was way past that. She asked if I had been soaking it, and at my completely blank look, asked if the doctor had even mentioned that? No. He hardly even looked at my finger, much less give me any positive things to do about it! She had to lance it and drain it, and let me tell you, that was one of the most painful things I have ever had done. Remember I can't let anything touch it, since it hurts so badly, even a bed sheet. The actual lancing wasn't too bad, but then she squeezed the pus out. Oh. My. Word. I thought I was going to vomit. I almost passed out. The room spun, and I saw stars! Really--give me childbirth any day. She kept talking but everything was all blurry and buzzing. Eventually things cleared, but I had to lie down as soon as she left to get my discharge papers written up! She started me on Zithromyacin, gave me tylenol with codeine for last night to help me sleep, and gave me more motrin. I was home by 1:45. Thank you Elizabeth for staying up so late for me!!!

My finger is already much better. It doesn't throb anymore, and the swelling has gone down quite a bit--I can even bend it some! What a huge relief! I am so thankful we live in a country with effective medicine readily available.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Oh my! You have been through a lot in the past few days -- and you're already blogging about it! LOL I think that sickness -- I mean having to visit a doctor's office -- is SO disruptive to our routine around here. When Julia had pinkeye a month back, there weren't any appointments available on base. They wanted to send me to Stafford or Fredericksburg!? First I laughed then was quite upset. I called Tricare and found an urgent care place within two miles of my house -- that took appointments! So then I had to call the appointment line, stay on hold to tell them to refer me to this place. Crazy -- and that only affected 1 person in our house! Prayers to your family for healing -- praying that Bob can stay healthy and that you have a little rest time this weekend.

Tonya said...

We bailed on Tricare Prime when we moved here. Too many things had happened that we weren't thrilled with, plus going to the base was no longer convenient. We've been Tricare Standard since moving here and LOVE it. We have a supplement from MOAA. So, yes, we pay a little out of pocket every year, but it is soooo worth it. Our pediatrician is 5 minutes from the house and we love her. I deliver babies at a birthing center in Annapolis, love it too.

Sorry things have been so yucky. After a week like that, I always want to convince Eric to take the next week off! :-)

Johanna said...

So glad you went in and got your finger taken care of. I was really worried and have been wondering all day. I told Russell you had to have your finger Lanced. Everytime I doctor one of his wounds and he complains I always tell him that we can leave it and it can get infected and they will have to lance it. Then I explain in horrible painful detail what they do when they lance a wound and how it feels. He usually lets me doctor his wounds without much complaint after that. LOL. Now that we know someone who has actually had something lanced it gives great validity to my warnings. Hope you all get to feeling better, and that Bob is ready to take over when he gets home.