Monday, March 03, 2008

Odds and Ends

Yesterday's Big Accomplishment: Nathan swallowed a Motrin pill!! Believe me, this is a HUGE deal. I thought we were going to have to keep on giving him liquid medicines until he got big enough to down a bottle in one sitting. Whew! We averted taht! Amazingly, he did better by drinking no water with it. After many non-successful attempts, I finally told him that he swallowed bigger chunks of carrot, apple, etc. when he ate, than that tiny pill! Finally he got it down, and he was a very happy camper. Us too.

When I say "Yesterday's Big Accomplishment", maybe it would actually be more accurate to say "Yesterday's ONLY Accomplishment". Caleb and Anna were the only kids who even got dressed yesterday, a fact which was remarked upon time and time again by Nathan and Luke. They couldn't believe they were eating lunch . . . eating dinner . . . etc. still in their sleepers! I guess I've been a stickler or something. It never occured to me that not getting dressed would be a red-letter occurance, LOL.

Bob got off to the airport this morning for his week TDY. I sent him off with plenty of food. This is a sort of compulsion of mine. I can't stand for any of my loved ones to be without food on a journey. Maybe I'm secretly an Italian mama or something? That's why there is a permanent snack tub in the van, and whenever we go anywhere there is a possibility of getting stuck in traffic, I always bring a water bottle. The only thing worse than being stuck in a car without food is being stuck there without water, I always say! (Well, not really. But I live that way!) Whenever someone has to go the the ER, I always pack granola bars and other snacks to tide them over, and when our whole family flies, I practically bring a covenience store, it seems. I've searched my memories, and I can't recall any instance where I was trapped without food or had to go without for a number of days. Maybe I've blocked the memories . . . Anyways, I sent Bob off with a huge turkey and spinach sandwich, a baggie of pretzels, a cheese stick, 2 zucchini-chocolate chip muffins, and an apple. No way I'm letting my man wither away on a hostile airplane, LOL.

Today is scheduled for a "getting well" day. No school. We'll just read aloud or something. I'm hoping that tomorrow some contingent will be able to still go to co-op. Right now Luke and Jonathan have never been sick, and Caleb is pretty much better--just a little matting when he wakes up, but nothing during the day, and his eye isn't red anymore. Nathan still looks like a puffy-eyed racoon, and he is still running a fever off and on, so I'm saying it's pretty unlikely for him. We'll see what tomorrow brings . . .

3 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

The packing food for any trip is in your genes, Claire! Nana was always prepared because we would start being hungry about the time Dad backed out of the driveway! ;) I don't know about Mammy but I bet she was the same way too!

I guess I didn't know there was any other way to live! LOL!

witw said...

Did Bob go to Texas? Melinda

Bob and Claire said...

No, Colorado. Hey, I hope you guys are feeling better! It is the absolute worst when both parents are sick and the child is not! : )