Friday, March 25, 2005

Our Easter Plans

We're going to go to Greensburg tomorrow to visit Bob's family. Bob's dad turns 80 tomorrow, so we're having a special party for him. I think all the brothers and sisters will be able to be there. If so, then it will be the first time the whole family has been together since his sister Rose's wedding 10 years ago. Since Bob's dad's birthday is the end of March, and his parents' anniversary is the middle of April, we are frequently in Greensburg for the Easter weekend. This is difficult since no one in his family really goes to church much. They tend to celebrate more with the whole "let's hunt Easter eggs" crowd. I don't like visiting new churches ever, really (it's such a hassle finding nurseries and so on for the boys), but I really don't like visiting new churches at Easter! I feel like everyone thinks we're the people who only show up for Christmas and Easter, and never darken the doors of the church the rest of the year! People are usually exceptionally friendly, and I just feel awkward, as I make a big deal of the fact that we're "from out of town, just here visiting family". There's no big Easter dinner in Greensburg either, with ham, scalloped potatoes, etc. That was a part of my growing up, and I miss that. I guess we'll have to do one maybe next weekend back here at home. I found the recipe for "Resurrection Biscuits" yesterday from someone on the Well-Trained Mind board, and I think we'll make them too. I have the cookie recipe too, but it uses pecans, which Caleb can't have. So maybe that's a good idea--we'll just celebrate Easter next weekend here at our house! Really, we should be celebrating Christ's resurrection every day, but I know I don't spend time every day reflecting on that. Maybe prolonging our celebration of Easter will help me do that. Wow, I encouraged myself! Now I'm not dreading going away!

No comments: