Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Big Order at Rainbow Resource!

Today I registered Nathan for the Stanford Achievement Test, which we'll do through the co-op in May. This reminded me that I needed to order the test practice book from Rainbow, so I put in a big order there so we could take advantage of the free shipping (on orders over $150. Ours wasn't really even close, either.) Do you want to take a peek at some of what I ordered for next year? I started off with 2 more Henty books for Nathan, which thrilled him when I told him. He is a little ticked at me because I've told him I can't start reading Winning His Spurs (about the Crusades) until I stop coughing so much. Maybe next week. I ordered Latin Christiana 1, along with the flashcards, as well as Lingua Angelica. I haven't heard as much about this program, which has Latin hymns and songs, so hopefully it will be a good supplement. I also ordered Spelling Power. We've never used a formal spelling program, and that is a weak area of Nathan's, so hopefully this will work. He is just not a visual learner, though, so even though he is a good reader, that doesn't seem to cement word spellings in his mind, like it does for me (and Luke). I ordered 3 Explore the Code books, figuring those might help Nathan too. Maybe if the phonics rules are more second-nature, than the spelling will come a bit easier too. And to round things out, we got the Farmer Boy comprehension guide and the Spectrum test practice book I talked about earlier. I didn't order any math stuff because I'm undecided on what Nathan will do next year. He would be moving on to Saxon 54, but that requires writing out the problems, and I just don't see that happening at a very quick rate, and I'd rather fight other battles. So I guess I'll need to do some research and maybe hit a convention or two in the summer. Luke will be starting Saxon 2 pretty soon, and I've already gotten it, so he's all set. It's always so fun when the boxes start coming--like Christmas!

2 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

It sure sounds exciting, Claire!

I don't blame you for waiting to read out loud...been there, done that.

We keep praying for full recovery.

Kim said...

Waiting for curriculum is so exciting to me. I just can't wait for it, and flip through all the lovely books.