Friday, March 04, 2005

Yesterday

Yesterday was a day when a lot of things kind of all converged. I woke up and my right side was really hurting, so I know I pulled a muscle from coughing during the night. We started out doing schoolwork, and then after lunch we made our monthly trip to the commissary. We go pretty much downtown, by Arlington National Cemetary, at Ft. Meyers, so it takes a good chunk of time to do this. We left about 1:15 and got back about 4:40 with amazingly not too heavy of traffic, considering how late we got back! But my crucial flaw was that I didn't take my standard 800 mg dose of Motrin before we left, and by the time we got everything unloaded, I could tell I was starting to run a temperature again. I took some, but I got to thinking how ridiculous it is to have to live my life taking Motrin all the time just to function, so maybe it really is time I see a doctor. After dinner, I was laying on the couch resting, when Caleb popped out of our room upstairs, fell, and banged into a big square newel post that is upstairs railing our catwalk/hallway thing. Of course he hit the edge, so he opened a huge gash in his forehead, kind of by his right hairline, that started bleeding profusely. We weren't sure he'd be able to make it to the Bethesda ER (4o min. away), but we finally got it to stop bleeding enough that Bob thought he could make it. By this time, thankfully I was feeling better, so I put everyone else to bed, and then I started frosting Luke's cake, since we're taking it to Bible study tonight to celebrate belatedly his birthday. Bob and Caleb got back around 11:00, and the ER docs put Derma-Bond on, which is like skin glue, instead of stitches or like Nathan had to have, staples. It's very nice that we won't have to go back to get anything taken out! Staples, glue--I guess next time anyone gets hurt, we'll head straight for Office Depot. Anyways, this morning I woke up early to call for an appointment, and I was able to get one at 11:15. My good friend Elizabeth even watched the boys so I didn't have to take them into the waiting room, full I'm sure of who-knows-what kinds of bad germs! As it turned out, I have a sinus infection, and probably pneumonia. The doctor said she wasn't going to bother taking an X-ray, since the antibiotic will knock it out too, if that's what it is. She also gave me some cough suppressant pills for the day, and a cough syrup with codeine for the night, so maybe I'll even be able to get a good night's sleep now. I'm just so tired of being sick and of having no energy. This has definitely been a low point for me, but I know the Lord is trying to show me that I can't do anything on my own. Several things I've read the past few days have focused on things like "My grace is sufficient for you", and so it's helped to meditate on that. Maybe after this weekend is over, I'll finally feel like myself again!

No comments: