Thursday, March 24, 2005

Science Fair Update

I'm sure everyone is dying to know what is going on with the homeschool science fair that I am helping ot start. We had our second meeting tonight, and I was quite encouraged. There were 6 people there, and 2 more could not be there, so our total number has doubled. Two of the new people are married to each other, and they will both be very helpful, I htink. The man, Anthony, is some kind of financial adviser, and he has set up and run several 501c3 corporations. He is going to be our treasurer, and he is going to recruit people to do fundraising and look for prized, and he was quite confident that he could do all that in a month! His wife seem to know people everywhere, and she was constantly suggesting names of people to do certian things ("You need a lawyer? I know one. A school administrator? We have a good friend who is ". . .) That was all quite encouraging. Anthony has several clients who work at Patrick Henry College (the homeschool one), and so now we are looking at having our fair there. Bouyed by this wave of enthusiasm, we are pressing forward with becoming an ISEF-affiliated regional fair. Everyone seemed to think we would have no problems finding 50 high-schoolers to participate so that we would be eligible to affiliiate! I am less positive, but I am going to step out in faith . . . I am going to be cold-calling the private high schools in our county next week to see if they would be intertested in hosting their own science fairs next year and sending their winners on to ours. Loudoun County doesn't allow private school to participate in their regional fair either. Cold-calling is definitely not my strong suit, so hopefully I will be able to make the right contacts quickly! It's kind of exciting and fun to be doing something outside of the house though, to feel needed and useful to adults. So I'm still enjoying this stretching opportunity--ask me again next Fall, when I am up to my ears in paperwork!

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

Cold callling is so intimidating to me, too. I'll be praying about it all and will be eager to hear how it all goes. I'm encouraged, also, about your numbers doubling. It sounds like the Lord is bringing in just the right people that you are needing.