Saturday, February 25, 2006

Savory Criss-Cross Pastry ("Sausage Roll")

Here's the recipe--it is just so easy that I can't keep it to myself! I got it many years ago off of a puff pastry box. Originally it just called for one of the two sheets in each box, but I use both sheets, doubling the recipe, and even then I don't usually have left-overs.

Savory Criss-Cross Pastry

1 package Pepperidge Farm Frozen Puff pastry Sheets (2 sheets)
3 eggs
1 Tbsp water
1 lb. pork sausage
2 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped

Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375. Mix 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. water and set aside. Mix sausage, stuffing, remaining 2 eggs, onion, and celery thoroughly (I usually use my hands). Unfold pastry on lightly floured surface. Each sheet creates 3 sections. Do not separate sections. On one sheet, cut 9 strips in the two outer sections, about 1 inch apart. Spoon half of the sausage mixture down center of pastry. Starting at one end, fold pastry strips over sausage mixture, alternating sides, to cover mixture. Place on baking sheet. (I actually do all of that on my baking sheet so I don't have to move the thing, and I don't flour my surface either--what a rebel I am!) Do the same thing with the other pastry sheet and the rest of the sausage mixture. Place on same baking sheet. Brush with egg mixture. Bake 35 minutes or until golden. Slice and serve warm.

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

Thanks! I'm going to try these this week! :)