Monday, February 27, 2006

Happy Birthday, Luke!

Finally, today is the actual day! I woke up to go to the bathroom at 3:25 last night, which is right around the time he was born, so I was quite on top of celebrating! Luke was lobbying for no school for him today, but I told him we just had an almost 2 week break, and we will be taking another break when the baby is born, so he was out of luck. He pointed out that we did Latin and math a few days while we were in Ohio, but I wasn't swayed. We did have strawberries with our cereal this morning, and for lunch I made his favorite of grilled cheese sandwiches (grilled turkey for Caleb). We even had apple juice with lunch, with pretty much never happens. After lunch we watched the video of his birth. The boys have never seen any of our birth videos, so I thought it would be good preparation for the upcoming birth. Luke's video is the best one we have. The hospital at Wright-Pat wouldn't even let you take a video of the actual birth, so for Caleb and Jonathan, we really don't have much video at all. The boys were very interested, especially as I started pushing. I'm not a "loud" birther, by any stretch of the imagination, but they could see me pushing (the camera was by my shoulder) and making little whimpering noises as Luke's head crowned, and they were pretty riveted. Nathan's conclusion: "I am SO glad I am a boy!" I told them that hopefully their wives will have babies, so they need to watch these videos to see what they need to be doing--which is, of course, whatever their wives tell them to do! Bob was a great example, rubbing my back, sitting behind me while I pushed to prop me up, and so on. I actually got a little nervous watching it. Maybe it's not a good ideas for someone within a few week of delivering to watch her own birth tapes! Umm, wait . . . that doesn't look like fun! Oh well. I'm obviously not yet at that totally uncomfortable point where you are willing to go through anything just to get that baby out! Another few weeks . . .

As I said in Luke's birthday post from last year, he had some complications when he was born from aspirating meconium during the birth. It was hard to see him on the video with all the wires and tubes coming out of his tiny little body, but it reminds us of how thankful we are that God spared him and granted him health. He certainly doesn't have any problems now from that whole situation! He's such a special addition to our family. He's so loving with the little boys, and frankly Nathan would never be able to find anything or spell much without Luke around to help! He has a similar personality to mine, which can be frustrating, but at least I know where he's coming from. He is still so painfully shy, but hopefully he will grow past that, as I pretty much have. He's a lot of fun, and he's turning into a very formidable checkers player! I guess he gets that from Papa and from Bob's dad--certainly NOT from me, anyways.

Tonight we'll have sausage roll, broccoli, and probably pears for dinner, and then Bob, Nathan, and Luke will go off to Bible Study Fellowship. Bob is planning on stopping for frosties at Wendy's afterwards. There was only a very small piece of cake left from Friday, but I did have some leftover pieces that I didn't use to make the cake, as well as some leftover frosting. I'll probably frost those pieces so we can have cake again tomorrow night and finish up the ice cream. That's what everyone is pushing for anyhow. Just one piece of cake a few days before your actual birthday is not enough, apparently!

2 comments:

Dy said...

ROFL - out of the mouths of babes! How precious.

The boys love watching the birth videos we have. They are such a neat way to celebrate life.

Happy Birthday Luke!

Dy

Unknown said...

Yeah, they get their own comuppance when they hit their 50's. He may say that about being a woman now, but while we are enjoying being 50+ they start having plumbing problems!

Happy Birthday to LUKE!