Saturday, February 18, 2006

Science Fair

Dad and I had a great time judging the Dayton Christian Middle School science fair on Thursday. The 8th grade students all have to do a project, so there were 84 projects to be judged. Dad and I judged 5 of them, and to be honest, we were a little disappointed at the quality of them. None of them were really superior projects that we would expect to do well at the county level, not to mention higher levels. I wish I could have walked around to take a look at the other projects so I would have a better feel for the quality overall. Having done a science fair project in 8th grade myself under Mr. Belue, and having received a superior at the state science fair that year, I can certainly say that Mr. Belue really teaches and stresses the scientific method, so maybe we just got a bad batch.

The main problem we encountered was that the projects did not yield any kind of objective data, so there were no real results to graph or whatever. For example, one girl's question was whether fabric softener or dryer sheets were more effective for eliminating static cling on clothes. She washed clothes using fabric softener, and then she also did some loads just using dryer sheets. But she couldn't measure the amount of static left on the clothes, so she didn't have any real results--just her opinion that "both products made the clothes smell nice, but the dryer sheets got rid of a little more static". I asked her if she had tried different types of dryer sheets and softeners, and she said that she had. In fact, some worked better than others, she felt, but this wasn't stated anywhere on her project, and certainly not in any meaningful chart or anything.

Another girl did a project comparing the stain removal properties of Resolve and rubbing alcohol on carpet. She used 5 different things to make stains, but all she could do was take pictures to show how the products did--there was no quantitative way to measure her results. I questioned why she picked rubbing alcohol, of all things, to compare, and she didn't have any good reason. In my notes I suggested using water as a control, and then also trying dish detergent, vinegar, other cleaning products, etc. It seems like in her research she would have come up with better substances to test and compare!

The other 3 weren't all that much better, although at least they did have some results. It seemed like people just wanted to do an experiment that they could finish in an afternoon or so, without really going any deeper or, in some cases, thinking about why their project would even be useful. One girl's question asked if adding substances like salt, sugar, or baking soda to boiling water would raise the temperature of the water. She was sort of tongue-tied when I asked why that might be important or useful.

On the positive side, it was wonderful to see familiar faces, like that of Mr. Minor, my high school chemistry and physics teacher. I can honestly say that he looks the exact same as he did when I graduated from DCHS in 1991! He was one of my favorite teachers, a good teacher as well as a wise and godly man. He always encouraged me to reach my potential academically, but to consider raising godly children to be an even worthier goal. He was delighted to hear that we're expecting #5, and that I am homeschooling them. I must say I never thought I would end up here, but I am sure that his encouragement in high school when I started thinking about my long-term goals played a big part in this. I am sad to report that Mr. Minor is retiring after this year, his 36th year teaching at DC. I guess he's earned a rest though! Mr. Belue also looks the exact same as I remember him from 8th grade. Is there some secret anti-aging thing going on in DC male science teachers?! Mr. Belue was excited to hear that I was teaching Latin--always a nice thing to hear! There were many other familiar faces to visit with. For someone who moves around alot, it was nice to go to a place and have people remember you! Wow!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sure am hoping you got a bad batch of projects to grade. You are right, that was a sorry bunch of projects. I was looking thru my old yearbooks and scanning pictures in last night. It was scary how much I remembered that girl I used to be.
Anyway, I started to side with the girl who wanted to test the boiling point of water with different substances in it, by saying, not all science has an immediate or obviously purposeful use. Then I reread your paragraph. I don't know if it's beyond the capability of an 8th grader but you are right. Even if it didn't have an immediate use or importance, she should have been able to say, the data could be used as a base for further research into safer forms of antifreeze or something related. I am having trouble finding something off the top of my head but...
I never did a science fair project. Although I ended up getting a BS degree, science was one of my weak subjects. Go figure.
To get back to the projects, doesn't the teacher have to approve the experiment plan before hand? Wouldn't the teacher have caught that the fabric softener experiment was flawed in that she had no tangible, measureable way to record the difference? Just wondering.

Glad you are having a good time back in OH. How many more weeks? Can I send something now or should we wait for FINAL confirmation that you are having something other than a boy!! LOL

Bob and Claire said...

How about cooking? What I was hoping she would say was that if you put salt in your boiling water, and the water then is at a higher temperature, then your potatoes should cook faster! And yes, I thought Mr. Belue would have said something. He was always pretty involved in approving the various steps of our plans. But I guess that at some point you just have to let them do what they want to do--they do get a grade on the whole project (research paper and all),and I guess some people maybe just don't get the finer points of the scientific method and what it is supposed to accomplish. A cautionary tale for someone like me, though, who is hoping to teach 5 little people that! : )