Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ear Problems

Well, last night is was Anna's turn to be the one keeping us awake. She has had a bad cough/runny nose thing going on for a little while, but last night she cried from 1:00 until 3:00. Not steadfast crying of course. No, the kind where she fusses around for a bit, then is quiet for just long enough that you start to drop off to sleep, and then she fusses around some more, so you constantly wonder if you should go do something, and if you do get up, what should you in fact do. Not much sleeping was done, either on her part or on ours. I went in several times with water, motrin, etc., but I will say that my parenting was not the best. I am exceptionally crabby in the wee hours of the morning, especially when I can't tell what the problem is and how to solve it. She wasn't running a fever, but I think that she might have an ear infection. She was tugging on her ear some this morning. I don't want to camp out in Bethesda's ER, so hopefully she'll kick it on her own. I put some olive oil in her ear, and she was much happier after that. She seems to be having a good nap now. We shall see.

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Have you tried baby aspirin. Whenever the boys complain about their ears but aren't running a fever I give them aspirin. The aspirin dries up water/fluid on the ears and helps relieve pressure from congestion that could be causing pain withoug infection. Not sure if you knew this or not. Chris told me about it and it has worked wonderfully for me the past couple years.

Tonya said...

I never take my kids to the dr for an ear infection. Never. Motrin obviously helps. I also learned a trick from a chiropractor - pull straight down on the ear lobe and then straight back. It helps to drain the eustachian tubes (how do you spell that?). The olive oil, a little warm, should help relieve pain too. You can get ear drops from a health store that have some herbs in them too.

Dy said...

Aww, poor Anna. Poor Mommy.

I hope she's feeling much better soon.
Dy