Friday, February 22, 2008

Lunar Eclipse

I'm a little late in getting around to posting this, but we were able to watch the lunar eclipse Wednesday night. We had a co-worker of Bob's over for dinner that night. His wife and baby daughter are down in Texas still sorting through things after the death of her mother, so he was lonely. We had a great time, including a game of Scrabble, and when he left, he mentioned to Bob not to forget about the eclipse. Which of course we totally had, LOL. We got Nathan and Luke up and we all went out to the deck to watch. Amazingly, the sky was pretty clear, so we had a great view. I think we came in a just the right time--the moon was still lit a little bit by the sun, but it was getting darker. We stayed out there with the boys until the moon was all the way dark and red. They were pretty impressed.

Back on Jan. 20, 2000, when we were stationed at the Air Force Academy, Bob and I watched a lunar eclipse. (I remember the date so clearly because I have a page in my scrapbook devoted to the event, LOL.) Because we were in Colorado, the eclipse seemed to be clearer, and the colors more vivid, but this one was nicer because we had Nathan and Luke to watch with us. Fun! I really enjoy sharing things like this with them!

5 comments:

Tonya said...

My cousin took a really nice picture of the lunar eclipse with her telescope. You can see it at her blog: www.raneemc.blogspot.com

Johanna said...

Wow, you posted a 630 AM? I guess I will soon be functioning at that time of the morning again. LOL

It was cloudy and snowing up here so we were unable to view it this time.

Bob and Claire said...

Hmmm, I have no earthly idea why it says I posted at 0630!! I was sound asleep at that time, LOL! I must have it on some different time zone or something--Pacific I guess. I probably posted at 9:30. Too funny! That's one thing I love about homeschooling--I only get up early if I absolutely have to!

Pilot Mom said...

We wanted to see the eclipse but we were shrouded in clouds and smog. :( The last one we saw James and I went out to airport #2 and parked on the side of the road where we could watch it come up over the mountains. Gorgeous! I guess that was when he was a senior or had just graduated...hmmm.

Johanna said...

That is one of the things I like about homeschooling too. The boys sleep til they want/need to, and we start on school work when we are up and ready. I must say it is almost a relief to know you were not up at 0630. I didn't know wether to feel sorry for you being up at that time or develop a new found admiration for your obviously super human abilities. LOL