Friday, May 19, 2006

. . . and then on to canasta and bridge

So Bob has a new project underway--he is teaching Nathan and Luke how to play pinochle. Bob comes from a big card-playing family, and I . . .well, I don't. We played tons of board games, like Scrabble, Life, and Monopoly, but we weren't into card games, using a real deck of cards. I don't think there was any real reason behind that, but that's how I remember it. While Bob and I were dating and newly married I wanted to fit in with his family, so I gave card games, especially pinochle, the ol' college try. Unfortunately, they weren't so much into gently teaching newcomers the finer points of the game. I guess they were more into
"immersion" learning--you just start playing and try to pick it all up as you go. But I don't do well with that kind of training, and them yelling "YOU HAVE TO PLAY TRUMP!!!" and "WHY DID YOU PLAY THAT?!!" all the time at me was not conducive to me developing a love for the game (Bob wants me to add that this is the reason why he doesn't play much golf). After I started having kids, I was able to just not play ("Oh, I'm going to have to nurse soon", LOL--now you know the real reason we keep having kids. Just kidding!), and now I just happily sit on the couch and do my crossword puzzle while they play.

Bob IS a patient teacher, however, and Nathan and Luke are quickly picking up the game. They love it! All day long I am hearing terms like "royal marriage", "meld", "deck and a half" and other pinochle words. The boys are going to be a big hit at the family reunion in July. I am proud to have a part, albeit small, in continuing the strong pinochle line. Of course, they want to play all the time and have a hard time understanding why not many other people have a clue how to play this game outside of senior centers. But at least with me helping to bring so many new players into the family, people will have no reason to bug me about playing myself!

5 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

We used to play with a couple who knew how to play really well. They tried to teach us and we enjoyed the times we played. However, there wasn't enough consistency (like every day) to remember it. So, the next time Bob comes out he and the boys can teach AC and UJ how to play.

I absolutely LOVE Canasta. I could play that 24/7!! Well, I might have to catch a little sleep, otherwise our opponents would begin winning. We can't have that!

Of course, still our favorite when we get all the fam together, you and Bob, Dan & Melinda (not a game player but at least in on the fun)James and us and anyone else is Balderdash or Beyond Balderdash. We still laugh over some of those definitions!!! ;D LOL!

Bob and Claire said...

Yes, that was hilarious the last time we all played! MUCH more my speed! : )

Beverly said...

Oh! Ted and I love pinochle! The Jacobsons are HUGE card-playing fanatics. Ted taught me Cribbage just before we got married, and his family also taught me pinochle. Since I had played Euchre a lot at Cedarville, it was fairly easy for me to pick up.

Bob and Claire said...

Okay Beverly, so whenever we are next stationed together, you all can come over and the boys will have someone else to play with! I'll do the dishes or something! (nurse?! LOL!)

witw said...

hmph. I have to register some disagreement with the part about "not a card playing family". Rather, Mom and Dad simply never played cards with us as kids. But remember, they used to be bridge players. Card games don't get any more complicated than that! And I could well have achieved a second major in euchre at Cedarville. I'm actually surprised you don't like them; card games just seem like something natural for a math major. Maybe that is the biology-major side of you. I've only played pinochle a few times, but I'm sure I could pick it up again to play with Nathan and Luke and Bob when we see you guys in July. I have a serious card-playing deficiency thus far in Texas. I think the only card game I've played here has been Texas Hold 'Em.