Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Back to the routine . . . again

We started up school again this week. Now that Anna is 7 weeks old and pretty much sleeping through the night, I feel much more capable of handling the school end of things again. Plus, I get antsy when we stop school for awhile--like I can see all the stuff the boys have learned flying out their earholes and into outer space. I must plug the holes!! LOL! We are just reviewing Latin this week, but we've started right back into math. Luke finished First Language Lessons, so I'm just having him do some grammar worksheets until I decide it's time to start what he'll be doing for next year (Nathan's old Shurley Grammar book). Nathan still has some more Rod and Staff grammar to finish. We have a few more weeks of spelling to finish out this book, so we'll just keep on there too. We started reading Farmer Boy for our new read-aloud. We're plugging right along in handwriting and Story of the World as well. We decided that this year's grand party (in place of separate birthday parties) will have a Colonial/Revolutionary War theme, so we've gotten lots of books out of the library and are starting to think of craft and game ideas. We'll probably shoot for the end of July/beginning of August, like last year. Again, this year's theme fits in with this year's history. Hmm, wonder how that happened? I'm so tricky! : )

We celebrated Mother's Day Sunday by grilling out pork chops after church. I don't really like going out ON Mother's Day, since I am not into crowds. It never seems to fail that when lots of people are watching, my children will act up. Conversely, when no one is around, they are angels. So last night we went out to TGIFridays, which has "kids eat free" on Tuesday nights. Actually, it's only one free kid per adult meal, so only 2 of our kids eat free, but hey--it's still a savings! The restaurant was pretty empty, the kids were great, and we had a nice time, although I will say that I prefer Chili's fajitas to theirs. Unfortunately, kids never eat free at Chilis, so we just go there for dates.

Yesterday, I watched Christine's 4 boys for her. She had watched mine several times while I had OB appointments, and she had some errands to do yesterday to get ready to fly to her brother's wedding next weekend. So there were 8 boys here, but I didn't feel as outnumbered as I usually do since now I have Anna on the girls' side. LOL! Actually, it's great because they all get along really well. They just kind of disappear and play! They played a game of soccer for quite awhile. How nice to have so many people for teams! Then they came in and played Bionicles. When Anna was awake, she was fawned over by all of them. She is so going to grow up expecting the undivided and adoring attention of all the men around her, LOL.

So things are pretty much back to normal again, and it's a nice feeling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's nice to have a change and nice to get back to routine.
I am posting here on the loveseat in the living room from my laptop. Yup. I have moved to the wireless age!! Bill got his new computer up and running last weekend and this past weekend I backed up mine to some disc's and he and a friend wiped it clean, upgraded and it's like having a new computer. Next week we are getting a new printer and I am selling ours to a coworker. But while we did this, we put in the router for Bill so his computer, which is in the basement on his 1920's era printers desk I gave him for his b'day some years ago, could have internet. Hence, I can now use my work laptop and get internet from the sofa. Cool.

You sound like you are almost back to normal and really enjoying having a gal in the house! Looking forward to lots of stories about the diff between the boys and the girl.