Saturday, May 20, 2006

Garage Saling

This morning I went garage saling. One of the neighborhoods around us had their annual community garage sale. This "neighborhood" is actually more the size of a small town, so much so that last night I went to their website, printed off a 3 page list of addresses of garage sales, highlighted ones that mentioned "girls clothes" or baby stuff, and then spent a good amount of time with my Northern Virginia atlas, figuring out where these streets were and making myself a little map so I could actually find them. That part of the plan worked perfectly. Also, Anna cooperated beautifully, waking up around 7:00, so I could leave at 8:00, when they started. I didn't get very much stuff though. It seems that in this high-price area, people have an inflated idea of what their old baby clothes should sell for! I am not going to pay 2 or more dollars for a stained little pants set! Oh well. I did pick up a cute little pair of "training" roller baldes for Caleb. They have little wheels on each side of the back wheel, so you don't really have to balance on them, although Caleb still has a hard time keeping his feet underneath him. He keeps sliding right onto his little bum! He likes them a lot--he's been wanting to rollerbalde with Nathan and Luke. I also got a Fisher Price "Great Adventure" castle, with some plastic knights. I don't think they even make this anymore, but it's been a big hit so far, especially with Caleb and Jonathan. I also got a 2 person bike trailer for $15. That was a good deal, although it has spent some time in a storage unit and is kind of dirty. I hope Bob can figure it all out. I still don't have a bike, but I figure that at ths point (well, actually when Anna is older and sitting up, but anyways . . . soon), Bob can pull Anna and Jonathan, Nathan and Luke can ride with him, and Caleb can ride with me while I walk. He can't keep up with the bigger boys yet anyways. So I spent 2 1/2 hours at 20 or more garage sales, and I got 3 things, plus 3 outfits. Hmm . . . not my most successful day. I guess that makes me feel good about not going to any garage sales since we've been here! Twice a year the MOPS group has a huge consignment sale, and I think that is a better thing--everything in one place, and the prices were better. So I will plan on hitting that in the fall to get more clothes for Anna. In the meantime, I can feel good about sleeping in on Saturdays and know that I'm not missing out on tons of great bargains!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so disappointing. But you know the saying...'whatever the market will bear'.
How did those dresses fit Anna Claire? Are we into the next size group? I'll be shopping this week and if I see something I want to make sure I get the right size. So, remind me what size we are in now. 12-18mos?
Love ya, Pam

Bob and Claire said...

No, no--we don't grow them that big! She's still in 3-6 month stuff. She has a really skinny waist though, so "bloomer" type things, like go under dresses, always slide off her. Just like Luke,lol, who was running around the other day, and his shorts kept sliding off. So he's back to 5T shorts! Ahh, to have his skinny waist and high metabolism again . . .