Monday, May 08, 2006

Testing Jitters . . .

. . . mine, of course. Today was the first day of standardized testing. Elizabeth volunteered to pick up the boys and take them in the morning, which was wonderful, because they needed to be there at 9:10 (that's another thing I can't do--get everyone ready to go and out the door even by 9:30, much less 9:00!). Thanks, Elizabeth! The boys waltzed confidently out the door with nary a care in the world. I was less sanguine, especially since today's subjects included spelling, Nathan's weakest subject.

When I picked Nathan up, his teacher told me that Nathan was a really fast reader. "Yeah", he says, "I always finished first--no one ever beat me!" Ack! I reiterated that this was NOT a race. Speed is fine as long as you are CAREFUL. Unfortunately, he can be pretty careless at times. Oh well! He also told me that spelling was easy. LOL--sometimes things can seems easy because you just don't know when you don't know something! We'll see . . . Luke thought everything was easy. Hey, it's first grade, and he's mainly doing second grade work, so I would say he is probably right. Hopefully he was careful too, and not over-confident. Just 2 more days--and then 2 months of waiting for scores to come back, LOL!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So when it comes to testing...patience is not a virtue you possess, would that be correct? I had two days of testing and almost 2 months to wait and find out if I passed my boards. I found out while in OBC. In March I took a certification exam for Medicare called OASIS. I got a letter a few weeks ago that said I did not pass. I was a bit taken aback. My job didn't hinge on it. But as the Staff Development Coordinator, I felt I should not fail at something so intrinsic to home care. I was also embarrased. But instead of hiding it, I told people and said I would retest in June. Then I got a call and said the data entry person made a mistake and I had passed. Whew. Now I don't feel so dumb. It was the first time in my life my 'brain' had let me down. Or so I thought. It's quite a relief to know I did pass. Not that it means anything to anyone I work with...unless I had failed of course.
Well, here I am babbling along. I know the boys will ace everything. So, stop worrying unless there is something about worrying that makes you feel better! ;0]
Love, Pam