Wednesday, May 10, 2006

That Sinking Feeling

Last night I went to the post office to mail a package. Bob had told me about the lovely new machine that lets you do everything automatically, thus avoiding the ever-present line, so I was going to try that. I got up to it, opened my wallet to get out my credit card . . . and realized it wasn't where it usually is. In fact, it wasn't there at all. Oh, my heart dropped absolutely down to my toes. I grabbed my stuff, mumbled something about not being able to do this right now to the lady behind me, and ran out to the car. As I sat there, I remembered clearly going to Kohls the night before to buy a picture frame. I had all the kids, and I could see myself paying with the card, then laying it down on the counter for "cashier verification". And obviously, I didn't see myself pick it back up again! I called Bob, then hightailed it back over to Kohls. Praise the Lord, my card was waiting for me up at customer service. What a relief! Bob was johnny-on-the-spot, and he froze the account before I got over there, just in case, so we will be getting new cards soon. This little incident does not bode well for me shopping with all the kiddos! I was so thankful that I went off to the post office though. Otherwise, who knows when the next time would be that I would have tried to use my card? It could have been days later, and I would have had a much harder time remembering where it got left!

The reason that I was buying a picture frame (which was 50% off, by the way) is that we have finally truly joined the digital age, and we have a printer for digital pictures. One of the first things we printed off was an 8x10 picture of my brother Dan and his lovely wife Melinda on their wedding day. Gee, it's only been 2 years since that day! LOL! But the picture turned out great--we turned it, cropped out some of the background--very nice (I think it was #499, Dan). And it looks very classy in the frame too. So now that have this printer, maybe I will more more ready to give up my old-fashioned camera and just use the digital one. I have been very reluctant to do so, since I doubted that we would ever really get the pictures in hand, so ever since we got the digital camera, I've pretty much taken the same shots both on that camera and on "my" camera. And up till now, the digital ones have stayed on the camera or the computer, and mine have regularily turned into pictures that you can show people in the comfort of our family room, not all hunched around the computer screen! But now we've reached the big time--nothing's stopping us now! Pictures for all!

2 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

We've been printing any of the pics you post. I download them on to our computer etc. Then we go and print! It's great! I'm going to have to go back and look at the wedding pics again! :)

I'm so glad you were able to reconstruct your time with the card. I've done that! Of course, the worse thing I did was leave my purse on a table at McDonalds in Kansas coming home from KY. Sitting there in the middle of the crowd for all to see. I didn't realize it until we were 80 miles down the road. Talk about turn the car around and SPEED back! I kept praying all the way that God would surround it with angels and make it invisible. He must have because it was still sitting in the exact place and nothing was missing. Whew! My heart not only sunk...I think it shriveled up and just about konked out.

Dy said...

Did you know you can edit your photos, upload them to walmart.com and then just order prints to be picked up at your choice of store location? We might finally start printing photos again! LOL!

I'm glad all turned out well w/ the card. That is, truly, a sinking feeling.

Dy