Sunday, May 07, 2006

Picnic/Potluck Marathon

You know how you either have weekends where there is absolutely nothing going on, or weekends where you have a gazillion big events? Well, this is one of the latter weekends for us. Our homeschool co-op had their end-of-the-year graduation ceremony and picnic yesterday afternoon, our church had a ground-breaking ceremony with a potluck afterwards this morning, and this afternoon we have our AWANA closing ceremony/pizza party. Oh, and Bob couldn't get out of desk duty at his real estate office today.

First, the homeschool picnic. Usually this ceremony is at the church, but this year the leader of the committee really wanted to have a picnic at her house so that more families would come, not just those with graduating 6th graders. Since there are about 40 families in TNT, you can imagine what kind of a house and yard this lady has. No, actually you're not imagining enough--it was really an incredible place! They live closer into the city than we do, but it felt like we were out in the middle of nowhere. They have a long (paved) private drive back to their property--what a great place for kids to ride bikes, rollerblade, etc. Then they have a big field, they have a forest part with a stream, they have a grassy part with trees, and a grassy part without trees, they have a swingset area, they have a trampoline, they have an orchard part, and also a big plowed garden area. Yeah, we didn't want to leave. The best part is that the grandparents live right. next. door. On this same private drive. Sigh. What a dream! The parents are both architects, so they designed their house to look like an Italian villa built by a favorite Italian architect of theirs. It was big, but very comfortable. Rustic inside. It wasn't really my dream style, but it was really neat. The family has 5 kids, 4 of whom are adopted from China, so they can stand to have a big place and big yard. Only one of the kids is a boy though--what a shame! Anyhow, we had a fun time. The weather was beautiful, and the kids played hard.

This morning, after I fed Anna at 5:45 and put her down again, I really fell fast asleep again, so I didn't wake up until 9:00, when she did. Ack! We need to leave for church by 9:45 to be on time! That didn't happen. Bob didn't go, since he had to be at Weichert, and we were 15 minutes late to church. Fortunately, we got there just as everyone was getting into their cars to drive over to the new site for the groundbreaking--I saved myself the trouble of unloading everyone, just to load them up again! After the groundbreaking, the pastor wanted each family to come up individually to have their picture taken with the shovel. There I was, all by myself with the kids, and Caleb chose to be very uncooperative and camera-shy. So the picture of us is without Bob, with me doing that smile-grimace thing while speaking threateningly out of the side of my mouth and reaching around to give the Vulcan death shoulder grip to Caleb, who is attempting to hide behind my legs and pull me down. No fake smiles and perfect family this morning, no sir! We did manage to get everyone back over to the school where we were having the potluck without furthur incidents, and I managed to get everyone through the food line AND even get something for myself to eat before Anna had to nurse again (she was cooperative, I guess to make up for Caleb, LOL). Potlucks are hard without both adults! I had Anna in the frontpack, so at least I had both hands. The whole thing unfortunately reinforced the illusion that people in the church have of me as some sort of super-woman--She pops out babies! She gets them all to church by herself, albeit 15 minutes late! She makes a mean strawberry spinach salad! One woman actually said to me, "Is there anything you can't do?" ROTFL! Yes. How about "get an uncooperative child to smile for a nice family picture?" Here's a partial and nonexhaustive list of things I can't do, just off the top of my head:

--Dance

--Type

--Pottytrain without getting really frustrated

--Draw

--Decorate a house with tasteful knickknacks, pictures, etc.

--Keep a clean kitchen counter

--Stay ahead of the laundry mountain

--Give up chocolate

--Eliminate paper clutter

--Speak a foreign language

Well, there are many more things, but I'm going to have to nurse again soon, so . . . that's a start. After I nurse, we have to load up again for the AWANA ceremony and party. I can't believe that we are having 2 big meals where I don't have to cook ON THE SAME DAY! What a waste! But next weekend is completely free, of course.

No comments: