Monday, May 01, 2006

The King on His Throne


Yay, I think he's finally got it! He didn't have any pee-pee accidents yesterday, although he did poop in a pull-up. Today we went to WalMart this morning, and he did just fine. Then tonight, while the big boys and I were at track practice, he pooped on the potty! *big cheer* There was a big celebration with freezer pops for all when we returned. We'll see if he can duplicate his successes tomorrow. I am just happy that he's not peeing in his underwear anymore. I'm feeling good about that!

I'm glad my mom was here for the pottytraining. She read tons of books to him and really kept on him about going, especially the first few days. I was so discouraged when he didn't just immediately grasp it all. I think that for me, I see it as some kind of test for myself--can I teach him a basic skill that he must grasp? And if not, then how can I possibly teach him anything else?! So I get very stressed about it, and that's not a good thing. In some ways, I am like that about reading too, since that seems to me to be about the most basic learning skill you can teach. Nathan didn't just pick up on reading right away, and that was hard for me. Luke basically taught himself to read, and I felt great about that! Caleb is shaping up to be more like Nathan in how he learns, and he certainly isn't just going to teach himself anytime soon. I'm finding myself putting off really starting formal school with him, and it's mainly because I know it's going to be hard teaching him to read. And for some reason, that makes me feel like I'm not a worthy teacher. I know, I'm crazy, but there it is. And yet, so far I've successfully pottytrained 3, maybe 4 boys, and 2 of them are reading. In fact, Nathan is an excellent reader, and reading is what he would prefer to be doing almost all the time! I guess I'll always feel somewhat insecure about how I'm doing, especially right now as we come up to their standardized testing. I always breathe so much easier once I get their test results back in June or July!

4 comments:

Dy said...

Would your dear mother be willing to come here and help me with Smidge? Please. I'm so proud of the big guy! What a great job!

Dy

Pilot Mom said...

Yipee! Hooray!!! I'm sorry we missed out on the freezer pops! We'll just have to get some here so we can celebrate right along with you all! ;D

We are so proud of you, Jonathan!!

Claire, RELAX! You're stressing me out all the way over here! ;D
Love you all!

Beverly said...

Hooray!

That gives me encouragement to buckle down and work with Arden. I'm thinking of waiting until after June 1, which is when we will "officially" finish kindergarten. We will then take at least 2 weeks off so I can catch up on some housework/organization and scrapbooking, plus look through the next year's school materials and prepare myself. So I'm hoping to work on him then.

Hooray for Anna sleeping long stretches! I know that does make such a difference when you can get some uninterrupted sleep. (And by this point, you count anything longer than 3 hours as "uninterrupted!")

Unknown said...

Woooohooo Jonathan

Attaboy!

Good work Claire and Marsha. You are definitely wonderful teachers and mothers!!!

Love Pam