Friday, May 26, 2006

Maybe we're a bit TOO affectionate here at home. . .

Last night Nathan and Luke had track practice. I pushed Anna in the stroller in a little grassy area by the high jump pit, while I watched Caleb and Jonathan run around. (Side note: The reason we weren't by the stands was because there was a championship lacrosse game going on. Fascinating sport! I had never watched lacrosse before, but it seems like a cross between soccer and hockey, since they can go behind the net, and there is sort of a penalty like icing. The way they twirl their stick/net things (do they have another name?) to keep the ball in is cool--manly baton-twirling. While I was watching, our team scored 3 quick goals. Anyway, I digress. . . )

So as I was watching lacrosse, I noticed that Caleb and Jonathan were really close to a man and his little boy who were sitting on the grass by their stroller. I started walking over there when I saw Jonathan leaning really close to the man. I thought he was whispering in his ear(!). As I got closer, I heard the man say, "You are tickling my ear!", and I realized that he was kissing his cheek! What?! And Caleb was acting with his little boy, who was 8 months old I later found out, just like he would with Anna--"Oh, you are such a cute boy [*kiss, kiss, kiss*], You are standing up! [*kiss, kiss*]" etc. Ack! I was just slightly embarrassed. The man was a nice, jolly type though, and he didn't seem put out by it at all, but still . . . I had no idea they would be so bold with perfect strangers! Where do they get that from?! Not me!

The man turned out to be very nice (he introduced himself, but his name flew right out of my head). We got to talking, and he said that he and his wife were overwhelmed with their 3, so he couldn't imagine having 5. I told him that I thought it was harder to go from 2 to 3 than from 3 to 5, and plus, now Nathan is almost 9, so he can do a lot more to really be helpful, like get everyone lunch. Whoops! It turns out his oldest son is also 9, and he doesn't do much at all! I then gave my standard spiel about how since I thought I was only going to have boys, I decided I wasn't going to be the only one doing any work around the house, so now I am teaching them how to cook, clean, etc., and hopefully my future daughters-in-law will all love and appreciate me. He looked like he thought that might be a good idea, but really . . . do you take advice from a lady whose boys walk up to strangers and starting kissing on them?!! I think not!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just. can't. resist. Claire....
At least no one got bit on the butt!

MUWAHHAHAHAHAAA

Bob and Claire said...

ROTFL, Pam!! That's true--I should be counting my blessings! : )

Pilot Mom said...

Too funny, Claire! We're still laughing!