Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Greek Olympics


Each tier (2 grades) was a different city-state and had their own banner. The 3rd and 4th graders were 'Sparta", and I made the banner--a ferocious Spartan felt warrior, LOL. This picture is during the Opening Ceremony, where we prayed to the One True God, and the fire of the Holy Spirit lit the flame behind the stage. Then each tier was challenged to display godly character traits during the day's activities, which included game time, craft time, story time, and food time.

I was responsible for the Greek food. I made Greek lemon chicken to go along with pita bread. I also made tzatziki, the cucumber and yogurt sauce to go along with those. A neighbor of another co-op mom owns a Greek restaurant, and he made and donated spanakopita for us. We also had dried apricots, raisins, olives, and Greek butter cookies that I made. We had a dry run last Tuesday night for dinner so I could test the recipes, and it was all quite tasty--just like Gyro Palace, a Greek restaurant we enjoy when we're back in Ohio! The kids liked it all too. It was fun to see the positive peer pressure. Kids would pass on everything except the raisins and cookies, and then they would be back a while later: "Umm, can I try some chicken and pita now? I thought I wouldn't like it, but my friends all said it was really good . . ." LOL! I can not describe the tons of food that I made and brought, but I came back home with very little. I'm going to send out an email to the families with the recipes because the kids really liked the chicken, and it is so easy to make.

After all the tiers went through all the stations, we met back in the main room for the closing ceremony. We awarded each tier a character quality--either joyfulness, initiative, obedience, or diligence--and each person received a wreath and a medal. It was a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

OOOOO, Claire, I want the recipe too! :)