Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A Good Holiday

We had a good day yesterday, although we didn't get much accomplished. Nathan made us cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Before you get all excited, let me just say these were not Elizabeth's delicious recipe, or Quiverof10's recipe, which has won rave reviews from the ladies on the Well-Trained Mind boards (we'll try those sometime!). They were, however, ones that an 8 year old boy could make by himself, so that made them quite delicious! I'll try to remember to post the recipe at the end of the post.

Bob was home, but we had a regular day of school anyhow. I felt like we've had to take some unexpected days off for doctors' appointments and such, and since we didn't have anything special planned, it seemed like we should go about our daily routine. Bob mainly played around with stocks online and paid our bills, contributing some Latin derivatives to the discussion at various points.

The highlight of my day was being able to go to the monthly meeting of the Ashburn Christian Home Educators support group (ACHE). It's always so nice to get out of the house and socialize with other women, especially ones with whom I have so much in common. I went with Christine, so I knew someone already, and another woman from our homeschool co-op was also there. The topic for the evening was "Classroom Organization and Time Management". The biggest thing I came away with was the knowledge that I am really pretty happy with where we're at right now, and with how I keep track of what we do and plan our days. I picked up a few practical tips, but I don't have a lot of unresolved angst about wishing I was better organized in the classroom! It was kind of funny--there were a lot of women there with 2 or 3 kids, the oldest being just 5. So Christine and I, with our oldest kids being the advanced age of 8, were like the old pros! That felt so odd because I know I am NOT the expert on homeschooling. I guess, practically speaking, that I AM more of an expert than someone in their first year with a kindergartener! Still, it felt weird. It was a good time of fellowship, with lots of great food. I ate more than my fair share of cheese spread and crackers! : )

Here is the recipe for the cinnamon rolls that Nathan made. It is straight from the Jan./Feb. 06 issue of Quick Cooking.

2 tubes (8 oz. each) Pillsbury crescent rolls
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. milk

Unroll crescent dough into a rectangle. Seal seams and perforations. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up jelly roll style, starting with a long side; seal edge. Cut into 16 slices. Place rolls cut side down in 2 8 in. round baking pans coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk, drizzle over the warm rolls.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Atta boy Nathan!!! Proud of ya!

Pilot Mom said...

Yummm...AC wants some! :D... (in case you're wondering, that is 'drool' dripping down from my happy face)

Dy said...

Sometimes Jess and I laugh when we're the mentors in a situation and we find ourselves thinking, "But, but, but... we're too young to be mentoring!" It's neat how God phases us into our roles. It's good.

Dy