Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Year-End Meme

I've been tagged by Pam with an interesting set of questions. I'm kind of doing this off the cuff, without thinking over my answers much, so we'll see how I do . . .

1. What did you do in 2005 that you had never done before? Cooked a meal at my house for my in-laws--they had never visited us before last February, although we've been married now for over 12 years.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Hmm, as a rule, I don't make New Year's resolutions. I always want to exercise more and eat in a more healthy manner though, and this past year I have had good months for that, and also bad months! I have been using whole wheat flour more often, as well as milled flax seed, so that is a start.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? I can't think of anyone right off the top of my head . . .

4. Did anyone close to you die? Well, the L's lost their baby in July, right after we found out we were expecting. That was a very difficult time.

5. What countries did you visit? No countries this year, other than in books. Sigh.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? A clearer sense of what we should do after Bob retires, and where we should go, if anywhere.

7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? July 22, when I had a positive pregnancy test.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Hmm. This is really a tough one because I am not really in a position right now to achieve big things. I made a great cheesecake on my first try? I organized the garage so we could fit both the van and the Pathfinder in there? I guess I'll have to stick with "I fed and clothed and taught my family for the year, and they all know that I love them"!

9. What was your biggest failure? Well, I never did potty-train Jonathan even though he showed lots of interest twice this year. I didn't take away his pacifier either, so next year will probably be more difficult because of those things, LOL! Also, I never got the boys (and me) on a consistent cleaning schedule. I'm trying again this year though (hey, maybe that's a New Year's resolution!).

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Well, we were all so very sick after Bob's family visited us in February--I thought we would never all get better! It was a bad pneumonia thing. I think I broke a rib from coughing, because it hurt so badly for so many months after. By June, I could finally lower myself back down to the bed without wincing! And of course there was my pregnancy rash thing a few weeks ago. Praise the Lord, it has all gone away now, and I'm not itchy. Funny aside though--now, whenever Jonathan isn't feeling quite right, he'll always say he's "itchy". I guess he heard me complain too often, LOL!

11. What was the best thing you bought? The 5 double bookcases from Sams! I still absolutely love these, and I love rearranging and ordering my books on them!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My cousin, James, who graduated from Air Force pilot training. That merited a huge family reunion down in Texas!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Bob's sister's husband. They are going through a messy divorce instigated by his affair, and he is being such a jerk about custody issues and well, everything. The custody hearing is next Tuesday, actually. Bob will be going up there to support her, and we would appreciate your prayers.

14. Where did most of your money go? Well, our house payment, I'm sure! LOL! We took a big trip to CO this summer, but that was a TDY. We got a great deal on our room in Texas, so that wasn't as bad as it could have been. I have bought a lot of books this year, although most were second-hand !

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Having another baby. Also our trip to Texas. I was so excited to see my brother and his wife, and their new home, as well as my aunt and uncle who we rarely get to see! And my parents were there too--it was wonderful! I'm still excited about it! : )

16. What song will always remind you of 2005? Hmmm . . .I'm drawing a complete blank here. I can't think of a one.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

I would say a) about the same b) MUCH fatter, due to the presence of another human being in me
c) Monetarily I would say about the same but spiritually I would have to say FAR richer! (I'm stealing your answer for that one, Aunt Claire!)

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Exercised.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Snapped at the boys over little, inconsequential things.


20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve? We spent it at the house of very good friends, with other good friends from our Bible study. We ate and talked while the kids played. It was very fun and relaxing.


21. Did you fall in love in 2005? With my husband again. As we talk through all these possibilities for the future, I'm glad we'll be in it together.

22. How many one-night stands? Well, none. Never!

23. What was your favorite TV program? I guess "Design on a Dime", since that is the only one I really ever watched this year! That is on in the afternoon while I exercise. Otherwise, I am not a big TV watcher, and I rarely do it.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No, I can't really think of anyone I hate. People I don't care to associate with on a regular basis, but not hate.

25. What was the best book you read? This year, I would have to say Idols of the Heart by Elyse Fitzpatrick. It really challenged me to see what I really worship (security). Also, this isn't the best written book (readss like you're at a seminar!), but Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs really illuminated some problem areas of our marriage, specifically the patterns in which we respond to each other, and how to break that "crazy cycle".

26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Beethoven's Wig CDs. The kids love them, and hey, I do too.

27. What did you want and get? The Message Bible and Climbing Parnassus

28. What did you want and not get? I can't think of anything.

29. What was your favorite film of this year? Besides the Lone Ranger and some new Veggie Tales, I can think of no movies I watched. LOL, I'm not much for visual entertainment, am I?!

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I went back to Ohio right after it, and I went to the ladies' retreat at my old church with my best friend Amy. It was so much fun! I was 32.

31.What one thing made your year measurably more satisfying? Cell phones! We finally got some the end of May. Wow, what a difference!

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? Pregnant. Comfortable. Not caring a whit about what the neighbors think if they see me getting the mail in my sweats (and wearing a plastic tiara, LOL!).

33. What kept you sane? Knowing that the Lord has a plan for my life, and that he loves me unconditionally.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Umm, the Lone Ranger? LOL, see #29!

35. What political issue stirred you the most? Gay "marriage" and the relentlessly negative portrayal of pretty much everything by the liberal mainstream media.

36. Who did you miss? My family and Amy. And I was so sad to not get to see Pam when we were out in Colorado. She and Bill were gallivanting around Ireland, lucky ducks!

37. Who was the best new person you met? My civilian OB doctor! Seriously, it took so long for the approval to come through--I didn't think it would ever happen!

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005. Enjoy where God has placed you right now. You don't have to assume you'll stay there forever, but while you are there, make the most of it. See what there is to see! Impact people!

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. This is from Tree 63's song "Blessed Be Your Name". It's the whole first verse and chorus, but I really love this song.

Blessed be your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name


Blessed be your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name


Every blessing you pour out, I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord, Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name.

2 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Wonderful answers! :) I'm glad you answered.

Unknown said...

You did a fantastic job Claire. I could allllmostt hear you talking. I can't wait for your newest one to arrive and all the fun postings we are gonna read and you get to experience!!