Monday, January 23, 2006

Let the nesting begin!

I still have about 9 weeks to go, but I am already feeling twinges of that nestin ginstinct, particularily with regards to storing up food. Now I know that reading My Side of the Mountain, where Sam details all his preparations for winter isn't helping any, but I do always get this urge to pack away tons of food in our freezers before I have a baby. I say "freezers" because one thing we have is plenty of freezer storage space! We have a lovely big side by side in our kitchen that came with the house, plus a small side by side in the garage that we got from Nana and Papa. Then we also have a big upright freezer in the garage, also from Nana and Papa, as well as what used to be our main fridge, an Amana with the freezer on the bottom, down in the basement. Amazingly, that one is also from Nana and Papa (we didn't just up and take away all their refrigerating devices--they moved into a small retirement village, and we traded our new fridge for their nicer one when they sold their house when we were stationed out in Colorado!). So storage space is definitely not an issue! As a funny aside, a few months after we moved here, some salesman called from one of those places that will bring meat to your door. He asked what kind of refrigerator and freezer we had. I rattled off all of ours, and there was kind of a stunned pause. "Umm, are you an appliance store or something?!" LOL!

Anyhow, I have been busy browning tons of ground beef and cooking and chopping tons of chicken. I've also put an extra meatloaf up, as well as chicken and black bean soup, and from tonight's meal, chili. I also cooked and mashed lots of sweet potatoes so we can make tons of sweet potato biscuits! I have plenty of other soups on our future menu, as well as spaghetti and things like that. I used to freeze a lot of casseroles, but with Caleb being allergic to dairy, there aren't as many that work now. But I think I will still have enough in the freezer by the time the baby is born to feed a small army. Which is good, since that seems to be what I am feeding every night.

2 comments:

Dy said...

Wow. I am so impressed. The farthest I've come along my food storage obsession is the panic-stricken realization that, "OMG, I don't know how to CAN this stuff!" Nevermind the whole make-enough-to-freeze-one concept. Noooo. That would be far too simple and rational. That you are rational and prepared is awe-inspiring to me! WTG!

Dy

Unknown said...

Ahhhohhhh. That sounds like so much fun. I'm jealous. I haven't been inspired to cook in quite some time.

Just nine weeks...holy cow!