Friday, October 11, 2013

Oct. 11--Rain, Rain, and More Rain

It has been steadily raining since Thursday morning.  I can tell such a difference when the kids can't go outside!  They are bickery, whiny, and just LOUD!  I kept waiting and waiting to take my shower, hoping that the rain would stop so I could go on a walk.  It never did stop, but finally I decided either I needed to go outside, or else all the kids did, and it seemed like a lot less mess for me to clean up if it was just me, LOL.

So I found an old raincoat, and I found my old pair of tennis shoes up in the closet, since I knew they would get soaked.  I actually love walking outside during precipitation!  I prefer snow, of course, but I don't mind rain.  It's very peaceful and refreshing.  Being out in the rain reminded me of one time when Bob and I were on our honeymoon.  We had space-a hopped over to Germany, and we were in Garmish.  We were hiking on the Zugspitze when all of a sudden we got caught in this torrential downpour.  Bob and I huddled under a big rock, protecting our precious video camera with our jackets, LOL.  We were waiting there when down the trail came these 2 older German ladies, with umbrellas, tromping along, talking, like they weren't in the middle of a deluge at all.  Obviously rain didn't bother them one bit!

As I walked along, I got about 1/3 of my usual distance when I remembered why I had gotten new shoes--this pair had no cushioning left on the left heel, and this hard plastic piece was digging into my heel, making it bleed all over my sock!  I decided to jog, because pitching myself forward made my heel hurt less.  So I was able to stay out about my normal length, which was good, but now my hips are hating me, which is bad. 

I used to run with no problems, but somewhere along the line, my hips rebelled.  I can actually tell you exactly when--when I was pregnant with Grace.  Somehow, in the last trimester of that pregnancy, I really got out of alignment, and after I had her, things just sort of hardened like that.  By the time she was 8 months old, I could not even cross my legs, and I thought I was destined to end up a painfully crooked old lady, even though I was only 34 years old!  That was when I asked a mom at our elementary co-op about her chiropractor, since I had overheard her telling another mom how wonderful he was.  And he has indeed done wonderful things for me!  But he is not a miracle worker.  Apparently, my hips feel like they deserve a break after carrying and birthing 9 babies, and running is where they have drawn the line, LOL.  I can no longer run any distance without my left hip being so sore that I can hardly move.  There go my marathoning dreams . . . ha, ha. 

When I came back to the house, Micah had fallen asleep on the couch, so that right there helped the noise and whininess level go down!  The pain was all worth it!

No comments: